Now that I’ve given the 10 greatest graphic novels in general, here are perhaps the 10 greatest superhero ones (in no particular order).
- Zot! (black & white) by Scott McCloud
- The Bulletproof Coffin by David Hine & Shaky Kane
- All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison & Frank Quietly
- Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
- Enigma by Pete Milligan and Duncan Fregredo
- Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
- Animal Man by Grant Morrison and Chas Truog
- V for Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd
- Hellboy by Mike Mignola
- Batman Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
For the most part, I tried to avoid long-running series, and instead focus on comics with a single story (Hellboy and Animal Man being the two major exceptions). I also tried to restrict the amount of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore comics on the list, as they have both written a very large amount of great superhero comics, and could easily envelop this if I let them.