Alan Moore, Chas Truog, comics, Dave Gibbons, David Hine, David Lloyd, David Mazzucchelli, Duncan Fregredo, Frank Miller, Frank Quietly, Grant Morrison, Mike Mignola, Pete Milligan, Scott McCloud, Shaky Kane
Now that I’ve given the 10 greatest graphic novels in general, here are perhaps the 10 greatest superhero ones (in no particular order).
- Zot! (black & white) by Scott McCloud
- The Bulletproof Coffin by David Hine & Shaky Kane
- All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison & Frank Quietly
- Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
- Enigma by Pete Milligan and Duncan Fregredo
- Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
- Animal Man by Grant Morrison and Chas Truog
- V for Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd
- Hellboy by Mike Mignola
- Batman Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
For the most part, I tried to avoid long-running series, and instead focus on comics with a single story (Hellboy and Animal Man being the two major exceptions). I also tried to restrict the amount of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore comics on the list, as they have both written a very large amount of great superhero comics, and could easily envelop this if I let them.